Saturday, May 07, 2005

How To Fall Into A Creek - For Dummies

I'm sure every one of you has fallen into (or at least jumped into) a creek or river at some point in your life, right? Well today, I'm writing this so that the next time you decide to go creek-jumping, you do it the easiest way possible, with the least amount of damage done.

I'll start with a description of what happened to me last night.

My friend Meghan and I were invited over to my other friend John's house. Originally, he was supposed to come to Meghan's house, but that didn't work out. Anyway, we arrived at around 7:00PM and John gave us a quick tour of the house and introduction to his dogs. Soon after, we decided to go outside (without shoes, might I add) and run around for a crazy few hours. During this time, we ran, raced each other and Jessie, explored the forest, walked on brambles, almost went to the firing range, and (perhaps best of all) swam in the creek.

The plan was to make our way across an army-style rope suspended over the 10ft. across creek. Easy, right? Not if you're wearing a skirt and are 5'6". Myself, being the girlie girl that I am, was wearing a skirt and absolutely refused to go the normal way (arms and legs swung over top of the rope), so instead, I was to do it monkey-bars style (just arms, no legs). To put it simply, I fell in.

So after I got out of the water, and my friends had finished laughing at me, we started walking back to the house. Halfway there (when we were level with the bridge across the creek), John whispered to me, "Let's throw her in". So, we attempted to drag Meghan to the bridge, but she wouldn't come quietly. Eventually, we all made it down to the bridge, but none of us wanted to jump from that height. Instead, we went down to the beaver dam area and waded in. John ended up pusing Meghan in while standing on a cinder block... yes you read right. John ended up jumping in too.

We all swam around for a bit (fully clothed) and then began to head back to the house. When we got there, we changed into some of John's clothes and tried to warm up. We were picked up a few minutes after that, so we had perfect timing.

So, there's the recollection of my evening. Now, on to the part where I tell you how not to fall into creeks, or at least do it tastefully.

To be honest, I really don't know how to fall while being classy, and I also have to go soon, so I'll just say this:

Stay away from creeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment